Thursday, February 20, 2014

EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE

A daily examination of conscience is a valuable means to holiness.  The daily examen was introduced to the Christian world by the Desert Fathers many centuries ago.  As a Redemptorist, I must model myself on the Holy Redeemer.  I have to challenge myself, and ask what makes me more like Christ each day.  What mars the likeness of Christ in me?  I have to erase the blemishes, and smooth out the roughness, and that is best done on a daily basis.  NOW is always the best time to put on Christ.  Why wait, why get lazy, why be indifferent to the Lord?

I have to recognize that I cannot get from sinner to saint overnight.  It's a gradual process.  It's a daily task.

Every night, my examination of conscience leads me to confess my sins.  But what leads me to sin?  I have to be aware of my faults and weaknesses surrounding my sins.  These faults can be reduced to pride, sensuality and sloth.

These are the roots of my sins, and I must not be content with just cutting down the weeks.  I have to pull up the roots.  Weeds do not grow easily or quickly once the root has been removed from the ground.  So I have to root out any and all vices, and plant in their stead the seeds of virtues.

I have to put on the humility of Christ.  I have to strive after the charity of Christ.  I have to be generous in my self-giving to others.  The more virtuous I strive to be, the more quickly my faults will disappear.  So, every day, asking the Holy Spirit for the grace to see what progress or regression I have made since yesterday, helps me shape my whole life.  I should be quick with sorrow and repentance for any sins, and quick to thank the Lord for any progress.

May the Holy Redeemer lead me, and may his blessed Mother be ever ready to intercede for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment